Friday, April 16, 2010

My hands slid the halter over my horse's nose as he dropped his head into it. He was accommodating in his way, always trying to get along it seemed like. I loosened his cinches again, feeling like I was becoming overly repetitive in my action. The thought of it flustered me for a second, and I could feel the blood rush to my cheeks as my mind screamed "NO NO NO" at the slightest hint of him thinking I looked silly. I shook my head and took a deep breathe, steeling myself against the cast iron butter flies that were smashing against the insides of my stomach. I wasn't a nervous person by nature, and darned if being around him didn't but about half way make me nervy! As I finished tying my horse up, his hand was at my elbow, and it absolutely baffled me-I didn't know how to react. His fingers curled around my arm, light but firm at the same time, like he was afraid I'd get away if he didn't keep a grip on me. My mind automatically equated his catch on my elbow to how easy he must be with his own horses. He could keep his hands light but firm all the same, so I knew he'd handle their mouths with respect. In my world, the way a man treated his horse was a make or break sort of deal to me. I couldn't tolerate any one that was cruel or heavy handed with animals, whether it was dogs or horses. We walked along the dirt road, watching the rowdy boys in the arena play a game of tag on horseback. My dad was sitting at one of the rock slab picnic tables, his back to me and his hat tipped back on his head. My favorite of our three horses nickered a low greeting to me as he pulled at his reins, eager to step closer towards me. Dad turned around, obviously wondering why his horse was trying to pull away, then smiled at me when he realized that I was the reason.

"Here babe, take your pony to the trailer if you would please? I think I'm gonna have a sandwich," he'd already started towards the concession stand, dropping his reins in the dirt at my feet. My new friend laughed as if he'd just heard the best joke ever, he gripped his sides as laughter filled the air between us. I jabbed an elbow at his side even as I grinned toward him, his sense of humor was apparently very versatile. Rather than taking the horse back to the trailer, I took Dad's place and promptly flopped down on the bench. Eating all of my fries with out the help of the big liver chestnut horse would be a challenge, but I didn't mind sharing with such a handsome fellow. He had his muzzle in my lap before I'd even unwrapped my fries, he knew I was a push over when it came to him. The seat next to me had an extremely close occupant, which I was keenly aware of after his knee brushed against mine. He flashed a smile at me, then spun around to talk to someone about what steer he'd drawn in the next round, and for the moment, I was thankful for his distraction. Being the object of his attention for the last 20 minutes was exhausting! I inadvertently let out a huge sigh, it being so forceful that my horse jerked his head up in response. It wasn't so bothersome to him that he stayed away for long, he was lipping fries from my fingers as soon as his delicate sensibilities recovered. After feeding a few to him, I began to eat myself, and realized what a long day it seemed to have been. I knew we'd be going as soon as the last round was over, and the idea itself of leaving was bothering me for some reason. My cheeseburger was thick between my teeth as I bit into it, mustard and cheese mingling into an all familiar taste. He'd turned back to face me again, and I could feel his eyes on me without even meeting his gaze.

No comments:

Post a Comment